Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sawubona (sa-wu-bo-na) hello in Zulu!!

Wow, I have done so much in the past two days! The People to People people sure do want us to experience a lot!!
I went to a lecture about a program called Active Schools Initiative, this is a program where they train community members to teach activities and games to students at some of the rural school. After the lecture we traveled to a school and talked with the principal and saw some students in a second grade class, they were working really hard so I wasn't able to give them the bracelets personally but the principal promised he would.
In the afternoon we went to a Sports Science Center where they help elite athletes to improve their skills (yes even the pros have to practice).
Today I went to a college called Stellenbosch University. I learned alot about how you can become a physical educator in South Africa. Its alot like what I had to do to become a teacher, but alot of schools don't have PE at all. :(
Sorry Ms Nelson I haven't seen any shells.
B/D 3rd grade- the beds are really comfortable, almost just like home. the temp has been in the upper 60s and lower 70s. the SA national flower is called the King Protea. my favorite animal so far has been the penguins.
Mrs. Howard I agree its very sad to think about all the people who lost their homes to build the new stadium but hopefully it will bring in a lot of revenue to help them too.

Second graders working hard!

Miss Darcy donating books to the Active Schools Initiative Program

Mileage Club!!

Best Friends :)
Goodnite! So tired!!

13 comments:

Ciara Neidlinger said...

what are the best friends names or are you not supposed to tell us?

Anonymous said...

How do penguins live in South Aferica without the snow? When will we see monkeys and elephants? Have fun Eddie

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog. I envy you!!! The wildlife pictures are awesome. You are learning and seeing so much. Can't wait to hear all about it when you come back. Speaking of that.....how was your plane ride? Could/did you get up and walk around or just sleep? I'll be checking daily now.

Catherine

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the kids. Such happy faces. Do they really have Mileage Club? If they do thats AWESOME! I did not know you were donating books. Who provided the books? What a great donation.

Oh, this getting off track but I did receive a pandora bracelet for my birthday and a few charms. Can't wait to show you.

Tricia Howard

amanda said...

Amanda says.... Awwww so cute

Anonymous said...

did you have fun at the schools?did you learn alot?i miss you.adam canfield

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. The pics are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I love the pics sweet . have a save ride home



Haley smith

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Darcy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope your having FUN!! see you soon






Hailey Kenerson

Unknown said...

Your pictures are amazing. I can't wait to see you and talk to you in person. The kids have really enjoyed your blog and watching the webcams. You did good.

What was the highlight of your trip? Were there any surprises?

See you soon.

Love,

Vicki

amanda and leilani said...

i cant believe they have milage club there 2

clayton said...

did they like the books that you
donated to the people in the pictor?do you like it in south africa, do you like teaching in south africa,miss.darcy do you
miss us at all,i miss you miss darcy?.!


by clayton thurston